In this page, I have listed various resources that I have found useful. The list includes software, hardware, online content creators, blogs, podcasts, authors, books and other resources.
Software and Applications
- Python – General purpose programming and scripting.
- C & C++ – Low-level programming.
- Julia – Programming language designed for high performance computing.
- Haskell – Functional programming language.
Programming Libraries and Environments
- Miniconda – Light distribution for the Conda package, depency and environment management system for Python and other languages.
- Jupyter – Interactive computing.
- Sympy – Computer algebra system.
Documenting and Writing
- Markdown – Markup language for documenting and writing.
- Pandoc – Converts document formats.
- LaTeX – Software for creating formal PDF documents.
- Google Docs – Collaborative and online writing.
- Grammarly – Spell checking.
- GNU typist – Software for practicing typing.
- Unicode Character Table
Text editors and IDEs
- VSCode – Writing and lightweight programming tasks.
- JetBrains Toolbox – Heavyweight programming tasks.
Graphing and Calculating
- Draw.io – Flowcharts.
- Geogebra – Graphing calculator for 2d and 3d geometry.
- Google Sheets – Tabular data manipulation and visualization.
- Google Calendar – Time and calendar management.
- KanbanFlow – Managing project subtasks, due dates and Pomodoro timer.
- Wunderlist – Todo lists.
Research and Learning
- Feedly – Cross platform application for managing RSS feeds, e.g. blogs, youtube channels.
- Pocket – Cross platform application for aggregating and reading online articles.
- Weava – Highlight websites and PDFs.
- Castbox – A podcast player with beatiful user interface and cloud synchronization.
- Calibre – Managing electronic books.
- Mendeley – Managing research papers and articles.
- Ocular – Document viewer combining excellent functionalities with support for PDF, DjVu and other document formats.
Biometrics and Tracking
Communication and Messaging
- Telegram – Powerful, free and secure cross-platform messaging application.
- Discord – Voice and text chat for gamers.
Security and Privacy
- Adblock – Adblocker for browser.
- VeraCrypt – Free open-source disk encryption utility.
- KeePass – Free open-source pass manager. Linux is supported using KeePassX.
- Private Internet Access – Affordable, multiplatform Virtual Private Network (VPN) service.
Hardware and Devices
Desktop Computer – Desktop computer for programmers and developers should be quiet, have a fast processor and sufficient amount of memory with sufficient graphics card to support multiple monitors.
- Processor (CPU): Intel Core i5-7600K @ 3.80GHz
- Graphics (GPU): GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
- Memory (RAM): 2×8 GB
- Storage (SSD): 250 GB
- Storage (HDD): 2 TB
- Coolers, Casing, Power supply and Motherboard: Quiet and supports the other parts.
- 2 × BenQ Zowie 24" Monitors – My current computer monitors.
- Kinesis Advantage 2 – An ergonomic, programmable keyboard.
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo – My current smartphone.
- Kobo Aura One – An eReader device for reading books and articles.
- In-Ear Headphones – Inexpensive and lightweight headphones with a microphone.
- Kingston DataTraveler SE9 G2 3.0 – Metallic USB memory stick that is attachable to a keyring.
- Swanwick Glasses – Good looking blue light blocking glasses to be in the evening for improved sleep.
- Oura Ring – Ring that measures biometric data about sleep and activity levels.
- Earplugs – For blocking out noise when sleeping or working.
- Sleep Mask – For sleeping or napping.
- Aqva Ultra Tap Filter – Water filter that is attachable to a water tap.
- Wilfa CHA – Electric kettle that with adjustable temperature for boiling water and making tea.
- Salli Office – Height adjustable stand-up desk.
- Salli SwingFit – An ergonomic chair that can be used with a stand-up desk.
A list of all the books that I have read in Goodreads. Below I have collected some books that are relevant to the topics in this blog.
- Contemporary Abstract Algebra – A text book about algebra.
- NIST Handbook of Mathematical Functions – A comprehesive resources of mathematical functions.
- Introduction to Algorithms, Third Edition (2010) – Comprehensive and rigorous textbook on algorithms. “The Bible of computer science.”
- Modern Computer Algebra
- Modern Computer Arithmetic
- Computational Complexity: A Modern Approach
- Software Engineering
- Operating Systems
- Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Technologies: A Comprehensive Introduction
- Pro Git – Everything about version control with Git.
- Learn You a Haskell for Great Good – Learn Haskell programming.
Science and Technology
- Algorithms to Live By: The Computer Science of Human Decisions
- The Master Algorithm: How the Quest for the Ultimate Learning Machine Will Remake Our World
Blogs, Podcasts, and Videos
- The Joe Rogan Experience – Long form conversations with guests from a large variety of fields.
- The Tim Ferriss Show
- Jocko Podcast – Podcast about war, leadership, and strategy by Jocko Willink, a retired U.S. Navy SEAL.
- Cal Newport – Cal Newport is an author and blogger who writes about the intersection of technology and society. Many of his works focus on the impact of technology on the ability to perform productive work.
Politics and History
- Caspian Report
- VisualPolitik EN
- Hardcore History – Podcast about history told by Dan Carlin.
Health and Fitness
- Ben Greenfield Fitness
- Bulletproof Podcast
- Chris Masterjohn, PhD
- Chris Kresser, MD
- Mark Hyman, MD
- Peter Attia, MD
- High Intensity Health
- Found My Fitness
- Max Lugavere
Science and programming